Driving in the rain

Submitted: Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 11:47
ThreadID: 75294 Views:5118 Replies:11 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
I received this enail today.
Haven't taken the time to check it's background, or looked on Snopes, but if it's true, it may be worth trying.

On a similar note, what do you use in the windscreen washer water to clean off bug guts?

email :

GOOD VISION IN
A
DOWNPOUR

How to achieve good vision while driving during a heavy
downpour.

We are not sure why it
is so effective; just
try this method when it rains
heavily.
This method was told by a Police
friend who had experienced and confirmed it.

It is useful...even
driving at night.
Most of the motorists would turn on HIGH or FASTEST SPEED
of the wipers during heavy downpour, yet the visibility in
front of the
windshield is still bad......

In the event you face such a situation,
just try your SUN GLASSES (any model will do), and miracle!
All of a sudden,
your visibility in front of your
windshield is perfectly clear, as if
there is no rain.

Make sure you always
have a pair of SUN GLASSES
in your car, as you are not only helping yourself to drive
safely with good
vision, but also might save your friend's life by
giving him this
idea..

Try it yourself and share it with your friends!???
Amazing,
you still see
the drops on the windshield, but not the sheet of rain
falling.?

You can see where the rain bounces off the road.? It
works to eliminate the "blindness" from passing
semi's spraying you
too.?

Or the "kickup" if you are following a semi or
car in the rain.?
They ought to teach that little tip in driver's
training.. It really does work.

This warning is a good one!

I wonder how many people know about this
~

A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and
totaled her car.

A resident of Kilgore , Texas she was traveling
between
Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not
excessively, when her car
suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through
the air. She was
not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden
occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he
told her something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN
WITH
YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She thought she was being cautious by
setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the
rain..

But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on when
your car begins to hydro-plane and your tires lose contact with the
pavement,
your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed making you take off
like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat
sun-visor - NEVER USETHE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN

THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY, along
with the airbag
warning. We tell our teenagers to set the cruise control
and drive a safe speed - but we don't tell them to use the cruise
control only when the pavement is dry.

The only person the accident victim found, who knew this
(besides the patrolman), was a man who had a similar accident, totaled
his car and sustained severe injuries.

NOTE: Some vehicles (like the Toyota Sienna
Limited XLE) will not allow you to set the cruise control
when the windshield wipers are on. If you send this to 15 people and only
one
of them doesn't know about this, then it was all worth it.

You might have saved a life.

Cheers
I'll get there someday, or die wanting to.

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob! - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:14

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 12:14
I imagine that only polarised sunglasses would have this effect.
AnswerID: 399989

Reply By: new boy - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:03

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:03
In the winter I use Rainex and find it very good as the water runs off and also helps with the bug remains.Sunglass concept is an interesting one will try hopefully later in the year when it rains. To hot today garaldton is expecting 42
AnswerID: 400000

Follow Up By: The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 17:56

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 17:56
Yep Rain X is the go. As for the sunglasses what a joke, i wear Polarised Oakleys everywhere i go and it dont help. I take mine off in the rain.

Rain X should be applied to every windscreen in my opinion, really does make driving in the rain much safer.
FollowupID: 669163

Reply By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:05

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:05
"NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY"

If you need a warning like that then you're obviously not in a mental state capable of making sound decisions as required while driving. What next? A warning that you shouldn't use cruise control in crowded carparks, on winding mountain passes, in bumper-to-bumper traffic, etc.?! Where has common sense gone?! Perhaps we should also have a bunch of warnings about trying to get out of the car while the C/C is engaged and a feature that automatically switches off the C/C in the event that a door is opened... Where will it end?!

I don't think you'd find anyone sane who would seriously recommend driving while wearing sunglasses at night, raining or otherwise. I also suspect that to increase visibility in rain, your sunglasses would have to have polarising lenses (which incidentally, also increase visibility slightly in fog).

I'd be a bit skeptical that a car aquaplaning would/could 'take off like an aeroplane' for a few simple reasons:
1. during aquaplaning, the vehicle loses traction hence when the C/C accelerates to maintain speed, the wheels begin to spin. This would make it unlikely that the car would/could suddenly gain excessive speed.
2. if you have C/C set at, say, 80km/h, it is fair to assume that you are probably cruising at 80km/h, the C/C will NOT accelerate the wheels beyond 80km/h. Again, the car would not (could not) suddenly gain excessive speed (unless there was a fault in the C/C, or you hit 'resume' while travelling at a lower speed)
3. Cars are not physically shaped to fly like an aeroplane! Aeroplanes have large wings that are specifically shaped to give lift as the wind rushes over them - there is nothing on a car that would provide sufficient lift for it to 'take off like an aeroplane' - and if there was, why would it wait until you are aquaplaning before providing sufficient lift for the car to 'take off'?!

The only known way to get a regular car to 'fly through the air' is to steer it over a jump or traffic island (median strip) etc.
AnswerID: 400003

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:54

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:54
I tend to agree with some of your comments, and assume the email originated in the USA, so descriptions of flying aquaplaning cars doesn't surprise me.
As for your comment on mental state if using cruise control in wet conditions, I have to assume you are basically accusing me of being an idiot.
I have used cruise control in wet conditions and will continue to do so, and if that means I suffer from any mental imbalance in YOUR opinion,then I guess I can live without taking any notice of your comments.
Your other opinion querying sanity for wearing sunglasses in the rain (even at night) is making me think maybe you are fixated on mental imbalances, which may put you in the category of people always discussing their sexual prowess, often been proven that they are the ones missing out. Putting it in simple language, maybe it's you with the problem?
Cheers

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 669088

Follow Up By: nickoff - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:55

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:55
Also, cars cruise contol speed sensing is done via the drive wheels. If you loose traction and the cars wheels "speed up" the cruise control slows the engine down. Until traction is regained, the cruise control cannot tell what actual speed the vehicle is doing.
FollowupID: 669089

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:19

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:19
Agree with Nickoff.

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 669097

Follow Up By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:39

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:39
Timbo I must be stupid too then.
FollowupID: 669102

Follow Up By: bruce - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:23

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:23
Dear Timbo...if you wear YELLOW tinted sunglasses at night they actually increase your vision....and with these new type headlights that are now being used...the glare from them is in my opinion dangerous and sunglasses would probably help ..not hinder
FollowupID: 669111

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:27

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:27
Sorry Brushmarz & Old Girl (and anyone else who it may apply to)! I didn't mean to say that anyone who uses C/C in the wet is an idiot (hey, I think I remember at least one time that I even used C/C myself in the rain). What I DID say was that if you lack the discretion to decide whether or not it is appropriate to use C/C (ie. if you really need yet another warning sticker on the sunvisor that to tell you when not to use C/C) then I have to question (in less strong language this time!) what other decisions don't you have the necessary discretion for? By all means, keep using C/C in wet conditions IF APPROPRIATE, and you could well be less of an idiot than someone who uses C/C in many dry conditions (which, like rain, can't be dictated absolutely by another warning printed on the sunvisor - how many people read them anyway - besides the compensation lawyers?!).

It is illegal to have a tinted helmet visor while driving/riding a motorbike at night, and for good reason - it's already dark enough and visibility is already significantly reduced (regardless of how good your lights are), why would you want to make it darker? I don't see any difference to driving with sunglasses on (many also comment on the difficulty of seeing through tinted side/rear windows at night). While I haven't tried it myself, I would expect that the visibility loss due to wearing sunglasses at night would exceed any advantage they might provide during rain and would therefore have to question the discretion of issuing a blanket statement recommending it. But perhaps I must accept, having not tried it, that I am not qualified to make this statement?

And no, I'm not one to discuss my sexual prowess and don't wish to start so I'll leave that discussion alone, but accept that my original post was too strongly worded.
FollowupID: 669112

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:32

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:32
Yes Bruce, yellow sunglasses do seem to improve vision at night (incl. dusk) and many cyclists use such lenses for just that purpose. The trouble is, the original post seemed to say that any type of sunglasses would improve visibility in rain at night - I would be very surprised if that were the case.
FollowupID: 669114

Reply By: Member - Rodney B- Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:51

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 13:51
Used Rainex only once when we lived in Dawin and it worked fine in the rain but made it almost impossible to drive at night. The headlight glare seemed to be twice as bright. Will try the sunnies next time it rains in Melb at night.
AnswerID: 400011

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 00:41

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 00:41
I agree - with every wipe of the wipers, there is a blinding glare off the windscreen from any oncoming vehicle at night.
FollowupID: 669259

Follow Up By: The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 03:29

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 03:29
I havent experienced this glare from Rainex yet. Have been using it for about 4 years and never come across it.
FollowupID: 669261

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:30

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 14:30
I doubt all of it. Sounds like rubbish.
Wearing sunnies may well allow you to see through the windscreen for a few inches better but what about seeing the road up ahead. Dark glasses at night sounds dangerous - must reduce the effectiveness of headlight strength significantly - to something like driving by a hurricane lamp!
Having said that I haven't tried it so I may be wrong but it just sounds like bull to me.
Others have already covered the cruise control part and debunked that as rubbish too.
AnswerID: 400015

Follow Up By: Member - Timbo - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:37

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:37
"Dark glasses at night sounds dangerous ..."

That's pretty much what I was trying to say, and when I raised a question of sanity in suggesting something so dangerous, I get accused of all sorts of other unrelated things! LOL :-)
FollowupID: 669115

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:53

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 15:53
I wear dark sunnies night driving BUT they are the add on hinged old phart style, and at half open position (approx 45 degrees), I can block out the oncoming headlights with the tinted part while still maintaining good vision through the uncovered area.
I guess I'll have to wait for rain to try out the whole scenario.
Cheers

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 669118

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:02

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:02
It's bad enough to get these rubbish emails in my own Inbox, but to have them re-presented here on the EO Forum is REALLY annoying.

They've been around for years and are mostly urban myths.

Do everyone a favour and hit Delete, not Cut and Paste into the Forum.

Rant over....

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 400032

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:47

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:47
I went to a small ammount of trouble to pass on what may or not be life saving information.
Reading your response you admit these style of emails are mostly urban myths, which means some are true, and these being open for discussion can only be a good thing.
If you find that too much to handle, pretend I'm a candle, and blow me.
No LOL on purpose.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 669138

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 17:02

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 17:02
skidmarx,

save us all the trouble next time and submit the emails to Snopes and find out for your self before you bother doing us a favour.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669147

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 17:37

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 17:37
Hmmm, ignorant and can't copy a user name. Doesn't surprise me.
Someone has done a Snopes search, and it appears to be UNDETERMINED, and still under investigation since the middle of last year.
DO you have any updated Snopes results? If not, howa bout adding something useful, or is that too much to ask for?
The post wasn't put in as a fovour, just possible life saving information.
If it ends up proven true, please do us a favour, and don't follow the recommendations.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 669158

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 17:56

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 17:56
oooohhh,

"fovour" ??

wear the fox hat?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 669164

Follow Up By: brushmarx - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 19:36

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 19:36
"fovour"
I would explain it to you, but we're probably pushing the boundaries of the Chit Chat rules. But seeing as how you are real keen to check up all the research sites like Snopes etc. I'll let you look into that one too. Might keep you away from the Exploroz site for a while.

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 669195

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 20:20

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 20:20
Now now children play nice, unfortunately the concept of warning labels such as "remove baby before folding pram" "cruise control is not an autopilot" "do not eat dunny lollies" etc are intended for many reasons including legal liability, the information of those that are not technically minded and maybe in a minority of instances those that possess a limited amount of common sense. And before you get out the hob nailed boots I think that everyone without exception on this forum possess a veritable abundance of common sense. Unfortunately what may be as plain as day to one is gobbledegook to others. Take what you find useful and disregard the rest. Unfortunately some find it hard to differentiate between good advice and arrant nonsense. And no I am not picking on anyone!!!!!!

(:-))))))))

Cheers Pop
FollowupID: 669208

Reply By: Nargun51 - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:03

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:03
Sun glasses cut down the amount of light being transmitted to the retina. Rain, whilst being translucent, is not transparent and will also reduce the amount of light being transmitted to the retina.

If I remember the ads for Polaroid sunglasses correctly, polarisation only allows light travelling light coming from one direction to be transmitted, but absorbs light hitting it at other directions. That’s why it is so good in glare conditions and is so good for fishing or sailing as it removes the undifferentiated glare from the water.

Wearing sunglasses in poor visibility conditions and turning off wipers in rain is counterproductive to allowing the optimum amount of light to hit the driver’s retinas to see.

The poster of this spam email is obviously trying to join the advertising (the ability to see into water) to fit driving in rain (which is also water). In other words, he/she was attempting to prey on the gullibility of people.

He/she was successful. Common sense would indicate that this is nonsense and dangerous nonsense at that
AnswerID: 400033

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:12

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 16:12
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/sunglasses.asp

I would NEVER either wear sunglasses at night nor would I use C/C in the wet.

Have had bad experience doing both.

I have enough trouble seeing with my ordinary glasses without wearing dark ones at night.

The only people who do that are wannabe movie stars or people who make

out they dont want to be recognised so wear them so they will be LOL

Why do you think its illegal to tint a windscreen.

Jeez
AnswerID: 400035

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 18:09

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 18:09
I couldn't have said it better myself Graham.... Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 669167

Reply By: Brian Purdue - Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 20:24

Monday, Jan 18, 2010 at 20:24
Brushmarks, you are going to get a thousand replies to your submission. In the end they will all say one thing and one thing only. "DRIVE TO THE ROAD CONDITIONS"
If the wind is blowing strong, the rain is heavy, the fog is dense, pull over.
Everybody has at some time been faced with such conditions and the wise pull over and wait.
The dunces make statistics!
AnswerID: 400072

Reply By: The Boss (Formerly Kroozer) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 03:35

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 03:35
I have used cruise control in the wet and will continue to do so if conditions suit. Would never use it on dirt roads though.

AnswerID: 400126

Follow Up By: Member Brian (Gold Coast) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:06

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 08:06
Boss,
I'm curious as to why one and not the other? Speaking as someone who has only used CC infrequently in hire cars..... I don't have it in either of our cars. And why not dirt roads? My guess is it's a traction thing, but I'm keen to know your reason?

Cheers

Brian
FollowupID: 669270

Reply By: Redback - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:06

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:06
Wearing sunglasses in fog will help with visability, try it you'll be surprised!!

Baz.
AnswerID: 400146

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:58

Tuesday, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:58
Wearing POLARISED sunglasses will as they cutglare just like when you go fishing.

Cheap or ordinary dark lens wont be much help.

FollowupID: 669292

Sponsored Links